| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
|月野 うさぎ |
Azabu-Juuban, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Juuban Municipal Junior High School Student (arcs 1-3)
Odango, Bunny, Bun-head, Dumpling head, Sailor Moon
Solar System Sailor Senshi, Luna, Naru Osaka
June 30th (Cancer) 
14 (arcs 1-2)
150 cm or 4'11"
Eating, sleeping, reading manga, shopping, playing video games, the color white, ice cream, cake, sweets, home economics
Carrots, math, English class, dentists, ghosts
A carefree sailor-suited schoolgirl, she is the civilian persona of Sailor Moon, leader of the series' primary heroines, the Sailor Senshi. She is also the love interest and future wife of Mamoru Chiba.
Usagi is a schoolgirl who lives in 20th Century Tokyo. She is shown to not view life with a great deal of seriousness, goofing off and oftentimes neglecting activities such as schoolwork to play video games or spend time with her friends. Somewhat immature and a crybaby upon introduction, she slowly matures over the course of the series and learns how to make desicions for herself as well.
At the start of the series, she is 14 years old and she is in her second year of middle school. Near the end of the series, she is 16 years old and she goes to high school.
Usagi has long, blonde hair kept parted in the center and typically tied into two buns/pigtails, odango hairstyle (the buns look like meatballs, hence her nickname "meatball-head"), and blue eyes. She is described as flat-chested and being one of the shortest senshi, said to be standing at 4'11" (possibly 5'0" or a bit taller in later volumes).
Codename: Sailor VBefore she appeared in Sailor Moon, she appeared in Codename: Sailor V in both Vol.5 - The Machinations of the Dark Agency and Vol.6 - Showdown! Sailor V vs. Cyber-Girl Warrior Lurga. In the former, she was seen looking at a poster advertising the Sailor V game (as well as possibly attending a Dark Guys concert at the beginning of the chapter). In Volume 6, she and Naru Osaka were outside of Game Center Crown, with Usagi wanting to go inside and play the Sailor V game, only to be stopped by Naru, who was afraid that they might be seen by one of their teachers and get into trouble.
In Vol.12 - Pet Chapter 2, Wan-Wan's Schemes!, Usagi and Naru are seen outside a bridal shop, admiring a wedding dress in the shop's window.
Dark Kingdom arc
Black Moon arc
Usagi's signature hairstyle derives from a "good luck charm" of the artist's. In college, Naoko Takeuchi would put her own hair up in odango before difficult class exams. By the intermediate stages of development, Takeuchi planned to have the character's hair be blonde in civilian form and change to silver when she transformed, but she was told by her editor that silver hair would be too plain for cover art. Stylistic use of differently-colored hair does sometimes appear in later artwork. Out of all the Sailor Senshi, Usagi's personality is closest to Takeuchi's own personality at the time that the series was created.
Certain background details of Usagi's character were chosen symbolically for instance, her Western astrological sign is given as Cancer, which in astrology corresponds to the moon. In reference to a popular Japanese belief, her blood type is given as O, supposedly indicating friendliness, optimism, and carelessness.
The kanji of Usagi's surname translate as "moon" (月, tsuki) and "field" (野, no). Her given name is in hiragana (うさぎ, usagi) and so its meaning is not inherent, but the word itself means "rabbit" and this is used as a pun frequently throughout the series, even in her hairstyle and possessions. Her entire name is structured as a pun, as the syllable "no" indicates a possessive, so that her name can also be understood as "Rabbit of the Moon." This derives from a Japanese folktale about the rabbit that is said to be visible in the Moon's face, much like the Western Man in the Moon. The English-language manga gives her the nickname Bunny to partially preserve this pun; many other localizations use the name Bunny as well. "Usagi" is not a common given name in Japan.
Her name completely in hiragana/katakana would be "つきのうさぎ" (Tsukino Usagi).
- Usagi was the only character to appear in all of the acts in the manga.
- Usagi's family take their names from the real family members of the metaseries' creator, Naoko Takeuchi.
- In the manga, she is kissed by Mamoru Chiba, Prince Diamond (unwillingly), Seiya Kou and Haruka Tenou (twice,unwillingly).
- In the manga Usagi slaps Demande immediately after he kisses her, in the anime she also cries but seeing her tears Demande decides to not kiss her.
- She is hinted to have a physical relationship with Mamoru; she was seen sleeping with him in the last volume of the manga. She is seen sleeping with him once again on the cover of "Sailor Moon Short Stories Volume 2".
- It is ironic that Usagi hates carrots, as rabbits are usually depicted eating carrots, and Usagi means bunny or rabbit.
- Usagi's crush on Motoki is not as big in the manga as it was in the anime.
- Her dream is to be a bride.
- In Ami's Exam Battle Story, Usagi questions "Who's that?" when Ami mentions Albert Einstein.
- In one piece of official artwork, Usagi's name is Romanized as "Usagi Tukino".
For images of the manga incarnation of Usagi Tsukino, please see Usagi Tsukino/Image Gallery.
- ↑ Usagi Tsukino at Sailor Moon Official Website (Japanese)
- ↑ From Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsouban Volume 3.
- ↑ Sailor Games - Interview of Naoko Takeuchi at the San Diego Comic-con
- ↑ Ami's First Love, page 12