|Name (kanji/kana):||月野 うさぎ|
|Alignment:||Moon Kingdom, Crystal Tokyo|
|Forms:|| Sailor Moon|
Super Sailor Moon
Eternal Sailor Moon
Princess Sailor Moon
|Lives:||Azabu-Juuban, Minato Ward, Tokyo, Japan|
|Family:|| Ikuko Tsukino (mother)|
Kenji Tsukino (father)
Shingo Tsukino (brother)
Kousagi (daughter, Parallel Sailor Moon only)
|Associates:||Solar System Senshi, Mamoru Chiba, Naru Osaka, Motoki Furuhata|
|Aliases:||Odango, Bunny, Dumpling Head, Sailor Rabbit (PGSM only)|
|First Manga Appearance:||Act 1 - Usagi, Sailor Moon|
|First Original Anime Appearance:||Crybaby Usagi's Magnificent Transformation|
|First Musical Appearance:||Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon ~ An Alternate Legend - Dark Kingdom Revival Story|
|First PGSM Appearance:||Act 1 - I am Sailor Moon!|
|First Second Anime Appearance:||Act 1 - Usagi, Sailor Moon|
|Actors:|| Kotono Mitsuishi (all animes, as well as some of the games)|
Kae Araki (episodes 44-50 of the first anime)
Miyuu Sawai (PGSM)
Anza Ooyama (musicals)
Fumina Hara (musicals)
Miyuki Kanbe (musicals)
Marina Kuroki (musicals)
Satomi Okubo (current musical actress)
|Bios:|| Manga Bio|
First Anime Bio
Second Anime Bio
Sera Myu Bio
|Galleries:|| Manga Gallery|
First Anime Gallery
Second Anime Gallery
Usagi Tsukino is the main character of all continuations of the Sailor Moon series. In all of these continuations, she is the civilian form of the title character Sailor Moon and the present day reincarnation of Princess Serenity.
Profile and Personality
Usagi is a Japanese schoolgirl who resides in Azabu-Juuban, Minato Ward, Tokyo, Japan. She is first presented as a goofy, clumsy, and friendly teenage girl who tends to be a bit of a crybaby. It is also shown that she does not like schoolwork and as a result, she doesn't fare well in some of her classes. In addition to this, she is often seen as immature and is somewhat of a glutton, the latter trait being very notable in the first anime. As the series progresses, she starts to become less of a reluctant and impetuous heroine and grows into a more mature one instead.
In all versions of the series, with the exception of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Usagi has blonde hair that she styles in the odango hair style and blue eyes though in the musicals, her eye color changes depending on the actress playing her. She is often seen wearing her school uniform.
In PGSM, Usagi's hair is black, her bangs are straight, and, like all of the other continuations of the series, she styles it in the odango style. Her eyes are also brown.
In the Mixx translation of the tankoban edition of the first volume of the manga, Naoko noted in an interview with Mixx that she wanted to create a character closest to her own personality when making Sailor Moon. This character eventually turned out to be Usagi. Additionally, Usagi's hairstyle was often worn by Naoko Takeuchi during her time as a university student. The hairstyle was Naoko's "good luck charm" for exams and difficult classes.
- The kanji of Usagi's surname translate as "moon" (月, tsuki) and "field" (野, no). Her given name is in hiragana (うさぎ, usagi) and so its meaning is not inherent, but the word itself means "rabbit" and this is used as a pun frequently throughout the series, even in her hairstyle and possessions.
- Her entire name is also structured as a pun, as the syllable "no" can indicates a possessive, if it would have been written as の, so that her name can also be understood as "Rabbit of the Moon." This derives from a Japanese folktale about the rabbit that is said to be visible in the Moon's face, much like the Western Man in the Moon.
- She has had a couple of image songs in every continuity of the Sailor Moon series, sans the manga:
- In the first anime, her images songs were The Password is Moon Prism Power Make-Up!, Love is Energy, Believe in Love, I am Sailor Moon, and You Can't Just Dream. She also shares a song with Mamoru Chiba called You're Just My Love.
- In the Sailor Moon musicals, she had an image song called The Last Change. She also shared an image song with the 20th Century Sailor Senshi titled We Can't Be Soldiers of Love Forever.
- In Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, her character songs were Over Rainbow Tour and Here We Go! -The Power to Believe-. She also shared a song with the other Inner Sailor Senshi called Friend.
- In Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal, her character song is Whether it Rains or Shines. She will also share an image song with the Inner Sailor Senshi titled Revolution is Night & Day.
- Usagi is the only character who has appeared in all chapters of the manga, all episodes of both the first and the second anime, all of the movies, all of the musicals, and perhaps all episodes of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.
- In the DiC English dub of the anime Usagi is renamed Serena,while on the the Kodansha's website she was named Celeste.In all the European dubs Usagi is named Bunny(a reference for her name meaning in Japanese), except for Swedish, Polish, Russian(Seasons 4-5) and Romanian dubs. In the Swedish dub Usagi was renamed Annie.
- In episode 4 of the first anime, it is noted that she is not very good at swimming.
- Out of all of the members of the Inner Sailor Senshi, Usagi was the only one who wasn't in the Three Lights fan club in Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.
- Sailor Moon's color is Magenta and her sub color is Blue.