The Grail's Divine Power! Moon's Double Transformation
|Seihai no Shinpi na Chikara! Muun Nidan Henshin|
October 22, 1994
|NORTH AMERICAN DUB|
“The Purity Chalice”
July 11, 2000
"The Grail's Divine Power! Moon's Double Transformation" is the 22nd episode of season three of the Sailor Moon anime, and the 111th episode overall. The episode first aired in Japan on October 22, 1994. The English dub title for this episode is "The Purity Chalice", and the episode first aired in North America on July 11, 2000.
Sailor Moon evolves into Super Sailor Moon with the help of the Holy Grail and Eudial is defeated and removed from her duties as a member of Witches 5. Mimnet replaces her in collecting more pure hearts for the Messiah of Silence's full awakening.
The Inner Senshi arrive to find Usagi with Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune, who have collapsed as their Pure Hearts were removed and turned into talismans. The being in talisman form, their Pure Hearts could not be returned to them. Eudial steals the two talismans and traps the Senshi in a room of flames, using Fire Buster II. Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Chibi Moon arrive and Sailor Chibi Moon douses the flames using Luna-P. Eudial flees with the talismans and the Senshi give chase. Eudial uses glue from her weapon to trap the Inner Senshi, but Sailor Moon is able to get pass it. She tries using Moon Spiral Heart Attack, but Eudial's weapon is able to defeat the attack. Before Eudial could attack Sailor Moon, Setsuna arrives and transforms into Sailor Pluto, revealing the orb on her weapon is the third talisman. Using the orb, she summons the other talismans to her and summons Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus to stand before them. Their Pure Hearts are separated from the talismans and returned to their owners. They grasp the talismans and all three of the talismans emitted strong power, felt by the Death Busters and an unknown girl and the talismans create the Holy Grail. Eudial sets the room aflame, containing the Senshi, as she runs to retrieve the Holy Grail. Sailor Moon runs to capture the Holy Grail as well, and the two race for it. Sailor Moon reaches the Holy Grail first, snuffing out the flames and she transforms into Super Sailor Moon. Eudial tries to use Fire Buster II on Super Sailor Moon, but she deflects it back at the Witch and Eudial is thrown out of the Cathedral. Eudial flees in her Station Wagon, only to be contacted over the radio by Mimete, who berates Eudial for her constant failures. Driving at a dangerous speed, Eudial discovers Mimete has cut the brakes, put snails in her car, and left a taunting note. Unable to slow down, Eudial crashes the car over a guard rail, and plummets to her death. Back at the Cathedral, Sailor Moon returns to her normal form and collapses from the exhaustion of power that was used. Seeing Sailor Moon weakened, the Outers assume she is not the Messiah since she doesn't display unlimited power and the decide to search for the real Messiah.
Changes From the Manga
- Eudial is killed by Sailor Moon and she is never requested to look for the talismans.
- Before Eudial's death, she was hit by Mars Snake Fire, and turned into a gorgon-like Daimon.
- The Holy Grail appeared when Sailor Moon, Sailor Chibi Moon and Tuxedo Mask joined hands. After that the rest of the senshi lent their powers to her, so the grail could be fill with an unknown liquid of holy energy; which Sailor Moon would drink to power herself up into Super Sailor Moon.
- The talismans filled the grail with their power.
- Sailor Moon and Sailor Chibi Moon wore feather barrettes before Sailor Moon gained her Super form.
- When Sailor Moon transformed into Super Sailor Moon for the first time, all eight Sailor Senshi's brooches changed into hearts.
- Eudial is killed by Mimete in this episode.
- Even though the talismans are not connected to Sailor Saturn's awakening in the original anime, when they create the Holy Grail, they seemed to have some unknown effect on Hotaru.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Super Sailor Moon and the first time for Usagi to have a change from her original fuku outfit.
- This episode also marks the return of Sailor Pluto who remains for the duration of the season and the first time her transformation sequence is shown.