| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
Member of the Black Moon Clan
Prince Demande (older brother)
Saphir is Prince Demande's younger brother. Unlike the other members of the Black Moon Clan, he doesn't fight against the five Sailor Senshi and only follows out his elder brother's orders.
Sailor Moon R
Saphir doesn't directly fight against the five Sailor Senshi at all in Sailor Moon R. He only follows out his elder brother's orders, Saphir is the one who knows how to build or decrease the power output of their black crystal and he does so according to Demande's wishes. Saphir has been quick to point out Esmeraude's faults. He also suspects Wiseman of having evil intentions and silently watches him. He soon discovers that Wiseman is only using Prince Demande and plans to kill him once he is done. Saphir headed into a secret room and manages to steal the dark microchip to weaken the dark palace. However, he's caught by Wiseman who warns him of the Death Phantom's wrath if he goes through with the theft. Saphir manages to fight him off and escapes, but is badly wounded in the process.
He barely escapes and makes it to the past where Petz and her sisters live. There Saphir is reunited with Petz, whom he was in love with and promises to return to her once he can warn Demande. As he was returning, Black Lady confronted him and orders him to leave his brother alone. With the timely arrival of Tuxedo Mask, Saphir attempts to warn his older brother about Wiseman, but even with the Sailor Senshi attempting to help him, he was killed with two energy blasts from Wiseman. His head was bandaged by Petz earlier, and when the bandage fell off, there was no dark crescent moon on his forehead, proving his firm transition to the side of good. Demande is heartbroken when he sees Saphir die and begins questioning Wiseman's motives.
- He was a minor recurring character in original anime.
- Saphir was the second loyally devoted henchman to become good and then die. The first was Nephrite. Demande himself becomes the third, though Wiseman was attempting to kill Sailor Moon at the time. However, he is the first to become good on his own without any outside influence, such as from the Sailor Senshi.
- In the Japanese version, he only addressed his brother (Demande) as "onii-san" (which is "elder brother" in the Japanese language) but the fact that they were brothers was omitted for most of the span of the English dub of the show.
- Saphir is associated, etymologically, with Saturn and, in folklore, with wisdom or clear thinking and healing; both of those latter are probably part and parcel of the Saturn association. Roman Saturn was a much nicer fellow than the Greek Cronus for all they got associated with each other. This matches far better with the anime Saphir, who seems to be the most thoughtful of all the Black Moon family, than with the manga Saphir, who was more of a mad-scientist character.
- He was the first of the Black Moon Clan to discover that Wiseman was manipulating all of them behind their backs.