| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
"Soldier of Destruction", "Soldier of Ruin and Birth", "Soldier of Silence"
Goddess of Destruction, Princess Saturn, Sailor Saturn, Super Sailor Saturn, Eternal Sailor Saturn
Solar System Sailor Senshi
12-13 (Infinity arc)
Keiko Tomoe,Souichi Tomoe
Sailor Saturn is one of the four Outer Senshi of the Solar System, and was the tenth Sailor Senshi to be introduced in the manga. Her civilian identity is Hotaru Tomoe. Her attacks are based around silence and destruction, death, and rebirth; she has the ability to annihilate a planet and even an entire star system, as well as resetting the evolution of the same to zero and powers granted by her Silence Glaive. This is the original depiction of the character created by Naoko Takeuchi.
Sailor Saturn awakens with the power of the three Talismans: the Garnet Orb, the Space Sword, and the Deep Aqua Mirror. When Pharaoh 90 began to overwhelm the Sailor Senshi, and Sailor Moon had jumped into him hoping to unleash the power of the Silver Crystal to destroy him, the three talismans reacted and Saturn awoke.
Sailor Saturn's dominant color was purple (choker, collar, elbow fittings of gloves, skirt, and boots), and her accent colors were white (tiara gem, earrings, front middle of choker, and center of front bow) and maroon (front and back bows). Her choker had a white six-pointed star, her collar had no stripes, her shoulder pads resembled flower petals, and the center of her front bow was a white crystal, similar in appearance to Pure Heart Crystals. Her gloves were elbow length with elbow fittings unique among the Senshi. Her boots were knee high and laced up in the front.
When she transformed into Super Sailor Saturn, her earrings and boots remained the same, her glove fittings were identical to that of the other Senshi, her choker had a yellow star attached to it, her collar had one white stripe, and the center of her front bow was a violet heart. She had the regular shoulder pads with translucent parts, and the back waist bow was enlarged and lengthened. In the manga, the star on her choker had a purple gemstone in the center.
During the Silver Millennium, Sailor Saturn was also the Princess of her home planet. She was among those given the duty of protecting the galaxy's Outer Rim. As Princess Saturn, she dwelt in Titan Castle and wore a dark purple gown with gloves—she appears in this form in the original manga and in supplementary art. Unlike the other Senshi, it is stated that Saturn did not awaken in the Silver Millennium until after it was destroyed so Princess Saturn's exact status during that time is unclear.
When she transformed into Eternal Sailor Saturn, her choker was V-shaped and the center of her front bow was a lavender five-pointed star in her maroon front bow. Her shoulder pads were large lavender puffs with two patches of purple fabric attached to the bottom. Her gloves became longer, reaching to her upper arms. Her belt consisted of two ribbons, one purple and one lavender, with two long, thin back ribbons, clipped together by a golden five-pointed star. Her back bow was lavender. Her skirt became two-layered, the top layer being purple and the bottom lavender. Her boots were knee-high and white, and each had a purple V-shaped border with a golden five-pointed star at the top. Her tiara gem was a purple five-pointed star and her earrings were dangling, purple five-pointed stars.
In the manga, Sailor Saturn awakens with the great power of the three Talismans united: the Garnet Orb, the Space Sword, and the Deep Aqua Mirror. Her awakening was greatly feared by the Outer Senshi, who believed that once awakening, her tremendous powers of death and destruction would bring about the annihilation of the world, as she did the same during the Silver Millennium which the Outer Senshi witnessed: by dropping the Silence Glaive on its sharp point with the intention of bringing about the end of everything, she turned everything to oblivion and nothingness.
When Pharaoh 90 began to overwhelm the Sailor Senshi, and Sailor Moon had jumped into him hoping to unleash the power of the Silver Crystal to destroy him, the three talismans reacted and Saturn awoke. But, contrary to the belief of the Outer Senshi, Saturn uses her power to send Pharaoh 90 back to the Tau Nebula and Sailor Pluto seals the portal with Saturn away with him. Sailor Saturn uses Death Reborn Revolution to gravely weaken Pharaoh 90, who felt quite overwhelmed by her destructive and deadly negative energy. Super Sailor Moon uses her power and Sailor Saturn returns; successfully reborn and reincarnated as Hotaru Tomoe after using all of her destructive/deathly powers to the greatest extent. The three Outer Senshi took her to raise as their own child.
After the events of Mugen, Setsuna, Michiru, and Haruka lived and raised little Hotaru together. Six months after Nehellenia arrived, Hotaru saw a vision of Sailor Saturn herself, who had awoken once more. She presents the Outer Senshi with their own mighty Sailor Crystals so they could transform into their much stronger evolved Super Sailor forms and help the other Super Sailor Senshi fight the Dead Moon Circus.
Powers and Abilities
Weapons and Items
- Death Reborn Revolution
- Silence Wall
- Silence Glaive Surprise
- Galactica Glaive Surprise
- Galactica Cannon
- Death Ribbon Revolution
In early concept art, Sailor Saturn's weapon was a brown staff, her shoulder pads were purple, she wore a ring on her right hand, her brooch was a purple circle rather than a crystal, and her choker and earrings were different. The borders of her boots were also an upside down "V" shape and the borders of her gloves ended in a point.
- Sailor Saturn also perishes whenever she uses her deathly, destructive powers to their full strength and potential. But after using her power, she is reborn and reincarnated as a newborn baby as Hotaru Tomoe, her lookalike reincarnation until she is needed again.
- In two volumes in the Polish version of the manga, Sailor Saturn's name was mistakenly translated as "Sailor Sautarna." In later volumes, she was called "Sailor Saturn."
- In Roman mythology, the god Saturn carries a scythe. Interestingly enough, Saturn is the Roman equivalent of the Greek Kronos, the Titan, father of the original Olympic Deities, which is not to be mistaken with Chronos, the God of Time, who in Sailor Moon is stated to be the father of Sailor Pluto.
- Sailor Saturn's planetary symbol (♄) stands for the sickle or scythe of the Roman god, which she also carries as a weapon.
- In alchemy, lead is symbolized by ♄.
- Sailor Saturn is the tenth and last Sailor Soldier of the Silver Millennium to appear.
- Sailor Saturn is the second youngest Sailor Senshi, with Sailor Chibi Moon being the youngest of them all.
- This, however, could be contradicted, as Sailor Chibi Moon is actually more than 900 years old.
- Sailor Saturn is on the cover art of volume ten of the reprint manga.
- It is implied that unlike the other 8 senshi, Sailor Saturn was not active during the Silver Millenium, and was awakened for the first time only after the Moon Kingdom was destroyed by the Dark Kingdom.
- It could be said that in terms of magical power, Sailor Saturn is the second strongest senshi in the Solar System, after Sailor Moon.
- She also holds another weapon: the brown staff in the Materials Collection but it was never used.