| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
"Soldier of the Afterlife", "Guardian of Time", "Soldier of Change", and "Soldier of Revolution".
Guardian of the Time - Space, Princess Pluto, Sailor Pluto, Super Sailor Pluto, Eternal Sailor Pluto
October 29th (Scorpio)
18-20 (physically, but is already ageless)
Sailor Pluto is one of the four Outer Senshi of the Solar System, as well as the guardian of the Space-Time Door, and was the sixth Sailor Senshi to be introduced in the manga. Her civilian identity is Setsuna Meiou. Her attacks are based around time, the underworld, space, darkness, death, precognition, and powers granted by her Garnet Orb. This is the original depiction of the character created by Naoko Takeuchi.
Sailor Pluto is stated to be the daughter of the Greek god Chronos (Not to be confused with the Titan Cronus) who Chibiusa calls upon to travel through time.
She is a ruthless Senshi who strictly follows the laws, eliminating any intruders who dare came in search for the Gates of Time, stating that "all who break the taboo must be eliminated". Luna states to the others that no one is to even know that Sailor Pluto exists, and that to her knowledge no one has ever seen her. Luna calls her a "lonely warrior," noting the sadness in her eyes.
It is questionable whether she is actually human as she has been described as a goddess that guards Space and Time for eternity.
Pluto has a black Senshi dress, with dark red colored ribbons. She has no sleeves, unlike the other Senshi. Like the other Outers, she has no white lines in the collar. She has dark green hair and red eyes, with a slightly darker skin tone than the other Senshi. Her choker has a red circle diamond, and her earings are a strange-shaped red color.
Super Sailor Pluto has one white line on the collar and Super Senshi shoulder pads like the other Senshi (is normal, except one translucent part).
During the Silver Millennium, Sailor Pluto was also the Princess of her home world. She was among those given the duty of protecting the solar system from outside invasion. As Princess Pluto, she dwelt in Charon Castle and wore a black gown—she appears in this form in the original manga Act 41, as well as in supplementary art.
Black Moon Arc
Sailor Pluto had been guarding the Time Gate since the Silver Millenium. One day, Chibiusa met Sailor Pluto and they became close friends. After Crystal Tokyo is attacked by the Black Moon, she stole Sailor Pluto's time key and travelled to the 20th century. When the Sailor Senshi, Tuxedo Mask and Chibiusa travel to the Time Gate, Sailor Pluto attacks, trying to prevent them from using the gate until she sees Chibiusa and allows them to travel to the 30th century. When Prince Demande tried to connect the Silver Crystal of the past and future to end everything, Sailor Pluto stopped time, knowing it would cost her her life. Her death broke Wiseman's hold on Chibiusa and she became Sailor Chibi Moon.
She was reborn as Setsuna Meiou in the modern era, who is a student in science. When the Death Buster member, Tellu, sent out her plants, Telluns, Setsuna got one of these plants and she was attacked by it. She started remembering her past life. Michiru and Haruka were drawn to her as a fellow teammate and Setsuna awoke as Sailor Pluto.
Weapons and Items
- Dead Scream
- Time Stop
- Chronos Typhoon
- Garnet Ball
- Dark Dome Close
- Galactica Cannon
- Galactica Planet Attack
- Dimension Dance
- Strict Sweep
- Action Spinster
- Destiny Spinster
In the concept art in the Materials Collection, there is a sketch where Sailor Pluto has gray skin. Her belt and hair were also different and she appeared physically younger. In another sketch that more closely resembled her final depiction, she is lacking her chain belt. The Garnet Rod also looked different.
- Pluto is named after the Roman god of the underworld, hence why her powers and attacks are centered around death and judgment. It can also explain why the dominant color of her uniform is black.
- After Pluto lost its status as "planet" in 2006 and instead became a "dwarf planet", some Sailor Moon fans often made jokes about Sailor Pluto.
- This, however, doesn't make her the only Senshi not named after a planet. Sailor Moon herself is named after Earth's moon, the Sailor Stars aren't named after any planet or major stars (they just have the word "star" in their name), and Tuxedo Mask isn't named after any sort of celestial body. **Even though the planet is considered a "dwarf planet" since 2006, it's still called a planet in the re-release of Sailor Moon manga.
- She is one of the three Outer Senshi who posses one of the Talismans needed to summon the Holy Grail and awaken Sailor Saturn.
- Sailor Pluto's planetary symbol (♇) stands for the "PL" the initials of Percival Lowell, the discoverer of the planet.
- Plutonium is not symbolized by ♇, because the planet was not yet introduced at that time period.
- She is the first of the Outer Senshi to be introduced in both manga and anime.
- In the official art for the Black Moon arc, the center of her bow is colored garnet, but when she is reawakened in the Immunity arc, it is recolored black.
- Sailor Pluto is on the cover art of volume nine of the reprint manga.
- In the Pluto and Saturn Afterword Punch published in the back of the 4th volume of the rerelease manga, Naoko Takeuchi said that drawing Sailor Pluto eventually turned out to be a difficult task, due to the different ink tones she had to prepare for her hair and skin plus the complexity of the Garnet Rod.
For images of Sailor Pluto, please see Sailor Pluto/Image Gallery.