| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
"Soldier of War", "Soldier of Flame and Passion" under the guardianship of the "Fire Planet", "Soldier of Flame", "Soldier of Passion", and "The Guardian of War"
Princess Mars, Sailor Mars, Super Sailor Mars, Eternal Sailor Mars
14-16; 22 (30th Century)
160 cm (5' 3")
Sailor Mars is one of the five original Inner Sailor Senshi of the Solar System, and was the third Sailor Senshi introduced in the manga. Her civilian identity is Rei Hino. Her attacks are based around fire, psychic powers and spiritual powers. This is the original depiction of the character originally created by Naoko Takeuchi.
In the manga, when Sailor Moon became Super Sailor Moon for the first time, the center of Sailor Mars' front bow became a heart, but she did not receive the "Super" upgrade at the time. When she received the "Super" upgrade, her choker had a five-pointed golden star on it, the bottom of her sleeves became transparent, the center of her front bow became a heart, and her back bow was enlarged and lengthened.
Rei receives this form in the Stars arc. Her fuku almost appears to be similar to Eternal Sailor Moon's fuku, minus the wings. However, it is red and has lighter red bubble-like sleeves with red bands. Her choker is a "V" shape with a gold star on it. Her chest bow remains purple, but her back bow is a lighter shade of red. The belt is two shades of red ribbons with a star in front. Her gloves are now up to her forearms. Her skirt has two shades of red layered together. She no longer wears the high heels from both her first and super form; she now wears white boots topped with a "V" shape and a star in the center.
After being killed by Sailor Galaxia in Act 49 of the Stars manga, Sailor Mars is revived. Once revived, she wears her Super Sailor outfit with bracelets similar to the ones Galaxia wears. The bracelets are gold with a gem on each, one purple and one green.
During the Silver Millennium, Sailor Mars was the princess/ruler of her planet Mars, and she was given the duty of protecting Princess Serenity, along with Sailors/Princesses Mercury, Jupiter, and Venus. She wore a red strap dress that went past her feet, and wore a red choker that was tied into a ribbon at the back. She had a necklace on and small red stud earrings. She also wore red high-heeled shoes with straps. The symbol of Mars was present on her forehead. She dwelt in Phobos and Deimos Castle.
Dark Kingdom Arc
After Rei and Usagi were transported into another world with victims of the kidnappings, Luna sent Ami to help Usagi. Rei was caught by Jadeite, and Usagi transformed into Sailor Moon and used Moon Frisbee, freeing Rei and restraining Jadeite. Luna orders Sailor Mercury to throw the extra pen she had given her earlier. As the pen passes by Rei, the symbol of Mars appears on her forehead, transforming her into Sailor Mars. She calls Phobos and Deimos, and performs Akuryo Taisan, turning Jadeite into dust. The Sailor Senshi are transported, along with the other victims of the kidnappings, back to Tokyo. Luna and Sailor Moon are happy that they have found the third Senshi. Sailor Mars helps the Senshi fight the forces of the Dark Kingdom.
Black Moon Arc
Transformation Items and Phrases
Attacks and Weapons
Like the other members of the Sailor Senshi, Sailor Mars' original design was fully unique. It featured an alternate bow, double shoulder guards, plate-armor, elaborate jewelry and a gold rimmed mask. Her trademark high-heeled shoes were also already present. The red pendant worn on her belt could be worn on a necklace in her civilian form and could produce fire.
It is noted that her outfit as Sailor Mars echoes the color of miko robes, making the character most tied into tradition.
- Mars is the Roman god of war.
- Rei is a miko (shrine priestess) and they are known for their archery skills. This was referenced in the Dream arc when Sailor Mars transforms into Super Sailor Mars and her main attack is the Mars Flame Sniper, which is a fiery bow and arrow.
- Sailor Mars is friends with two crows, Phobos and Deimos. This is reference to two of Mars' moons, which go by the same names as well as the sons of the Roman god Mars, the gods of fear and terror respectively.
- Sailor Mars' planetary symbol (♂) stands for the Roman god's shield and lance. The difference between the symbol used in the Anime/Manga and the scientific symbol is, that the transforming sign has a heart instead of a circle.
- In alchemy, iron used to be symbolized by ♂.
- Sailor Mars and Sailor Neptune are the only Sailor Senshi to possess psychic powers, and Mars is the only Inner Senshi to do so.
- Sailor Mars' Spectre Sister counterpart was Koan. Her Witches 5 counterpart was Eudial. Her Sailor Quartet counterpart was VesVes/Sailor Vesta.
- The Shitennou general she's paired up with in Takeuchi's artwork is Jadeite. He said that he was attracted to Rei in Act 3, but she killed him with Akuryo Taisan as Sailor Mars.
- Sailor Mars is on the cover art of volume three in the reprint manga.
For images of the manga incarnation of Sailor Mars, please see Sailor Mars/Image Gallery.