| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
|地場 衛 |
Moto Azabu High School student (arcs 1-3)
August 3rd (♌)
17 (arcs 1-2)
175 cm or 5'9"
Mamoru Chiba is the reincarnation of Prince Endymion and Usagi Tsukino's love interest. He is the civilian identity of Tuxedo Mask. In the 30th century, he will be known as King Endymion. He is the future father of Chibiusa Tsukino. This is the original depiction of the manga character created by Naoko Takeuchi.
At a young age he lost his parents in a car crash on his sixth birthday. This blocked his childhood memories of his current lifetime and opened up the memories of his previous life as Prince Endymion. In the beginning of the series, he dreams of Princess Serenity that haunts him, As Mamoru. he tries to solve the pieces together from his strange dreams, and as Tuxedo Mask, he tries to remember his past and identity, while searching for Princess Serenity. He seeks the Silver Crystal in the belief that this will fully restore his memories.
The manga develops Mamoru extensively, showing that the car-crash happened on his birthday, and it gives a glimpse of his parents. Mamoru also struggles with his identity and function throughout the story line, worrying first about his true nature, then later whether he gets in the way of the Sailor Senshi. A fair amount of subtle characterization is made for Mamoru, and later extending his role within the manga as to who he is. He also is given the power of psychometry. This manifests in his ability to see and read dreams (such as Chibiusa's), heal people and monitor the status of the Earth. This was not fully developed until the second season, and was used occasionally throughout the series.
The manga tends to show Mamoru as quiet, studious, mysterious and stoic. The student body of his high school often admires him for these qualities.
Mamoru is an adult male who has black hair and deep blue eyes. He stands at about 175 cm or 5 feet 9 inches, and his left ear is pierced.
Dark Kingdom Arc
Mamoru first appears in Act 1. Depressed over her bad grade, Usagi crumples her test up into a ball and throw it over her shoulder, only for it to accidentaly land in his face. He calls her "bump-head" and asks if she is trying to put bumps on his head. She angrily protests that they are dumpling buns, not bumps. He mocks her for only scoring 30 points on the test, and throws the paper back in her face, saying that she needs to study more. Usagi angrily says that he needs to mind his own buisness, and also notes that he rather strange for wearing a tuxedo in the middle of the days. She calls him a "snobby jerk" and walks away. The man exclaims that OSA-P is a rather large jewelry store, and that it might hold the "Silver Crystal".
Black Moon Arc
His name, just like the girls', carries a pun. His surname "Chiba" means local and contains the kanji 地 (chi) which also appears in the word "Chikyuu", the Japanese name for Earth and 場 (ba), meaning place or location.
His given name "Mamoru" (衛) means to protect.
So the pun in his name is loosely "Earth Protector", "Local Protector", or simply "Protector of Earth".
- Of all the characters, Mamoru gets brainwashed and captured the most throughout the series. Mamoru was kidnapped and brainwashed by the Dark Kingdom and Black Lady. Mamoru is killed then brought back (along with the Sailor Senshi) under the control of Sailor Galaxia.
- This is to keep the focus on the female protagonists and the importance of them. Showing that not only male characters can save the world and that they also need and can depend on women at some time. Also, probably because of his importance to Usagi.
- His name 'Mamoru Chiba' is similar to the name "Mamoru Chino," the prototypical name for Makoto Kino.
- Mamoru displays healing abilities without needing to transform into Tuxedo Mask.
- Mamoru's birthday falls on August 3rd, making him a Leo. The zodiac sign of Leo is ruled by the Sun.
- Mamoru is the character who says the last words of the manga (see quote above).
- Naoko Takeuchi based his character off of her own ideal of the perfect man.