| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
|地場 衛 |
Moto Azabu High School student (arcs 1-3)
August 3rd (♌)
17 (arcs 1-2)
175 cm or 5'9"
Mamoru Chiba is the reincarnation of Prince Endymion and Usagi Tsukino's love interest. He is the civilian identity of Tuxedo Mask. This is the original depiction of the manga character created by Naoko Takeuchi
At a young age, Mamoru lost his parents in a car crash on his sixth birthday. The manga also gives a glimpse of his parents. This blocked his childhood memories of his current lifetime and opened up the memories of his previous life as Prince Endymion, which caused him to dream about Princess Serenity.
At the beginning of the series, Mamoru tried to solve the pieces together from his strange dreams. As Tuxedo Mask, he tried to remember his past and identity and searching for Princess Serenity through seeking the Silver Crystal as he believed that this will fully restore his memories.
The manga tends to show Mamoru as a quiet, studious, mysterious and stoic individual with a golden heart, which caused to the student body of his high school often admires him for these qualities. He also is given the power of psychometry, which allows him to see and read dreams (such as Chibiusa's), heal people and monitor the status of the Earth.
Throughout the story line, Mamoru often struggles with his identity and function, worrying first about his true nature, then later whether he gets in the way of the Sailor Senshi, trying to help them even at the cost of his life several times in the series. A fair amount of subtle characterization is made for Mamoru, and later extending his role within the manga as to who he is.
Mamoru is a tall man whom has dark bluish black hair and deep blue eyes. He is around 5 feet 9 inches in height.
Dark Kingdom Arc
Mamoru first appears in Act 1. Depressed over her bad grade, Usagi crumples her test up into a ball and throw it over her shoulder, only for it to accidentaly land in his face. He calls her "bump-head" and asks if she is trying to put bumps on his head. She angrily protests that they are dumpling buns, not bumps. He mocks her for only scoring 30 points on the test, and throws the paper back in her face, saying that she needs to study more. Usagi angrily says that he needs to mind his own buisness, and also notes that he rather strange for wearing a tuxedo in the middle of the days. She calls him a "snobby jerk" and walks away. The man exclaims that OSA-P is a rather large jewelry store, and that it might hold the "Silver Crystal".
Black Moon Arc
Mamoru appeared to be a kind and gentle man, being helpful and friendly around others. He also seemed to care alot about his girlfriend, Usagi; He was always ready to fight by her side, and fought his best to ensure her safety. He sometimes though could get frustrated by her awkwardness, which even the other sailor senshi could be the same of.
As a planetary guardian like Sailor Moon, Mamoru has his own unique sailor crystal, the Golden Crystal. With it, he can heal others and even rival the Silver Crystal in power. He is able to access its energy through energy beams.
- Energy beams - He was able to fire out thin beams of energy from his palm at enemies, using the power of his crystal to do so.
Golden Crystal: He carries the Golden Crystal, which is a powerful sailor crystal like that of Sailor Moon's.
Tuxedo Smoking Bomber - Mamoru pointed his palm at an enemy. Firing out a thin beam of concentrated energy at them.
His name, just like the girls', carries a pun. His surname "Chiba" means local and contains the kanji 地 (chi) which also appears in the word "Chikyuu", the Japanese name for Earth and 場 (ba), meaning place or location.
His given name "Mamoru" (衛) means to protect.
So the pun in his name is loosely "Earth Protector", "Local Protector", or simply "Protector of Earth".
- His name 'Mamoru Chiba' is similar to the name "Mamoru Chino," the prototypical name for Makoto Kino.
- Naoko Takeuchi based his character off of her own ideal of the perfect man.
- His birthday falls on August 3rd, making him a Leo. The zodiac sign of Leo is ruled by the Sun.
- Of all the characters, Mamoru gets brainwashed and captured the most throughout the series. Mamoru was kidnapped and brainwashed by the Dark Kingdom and Black Lady. Mamoru is killed then brought back (along with the Sailor Senshi) under the control of Sailor Galaxia.
- This is to keep the focus on the female protagonists and the importance of them. Showing that not only male characters can save the world and that they also need and can depend on women at some time. Also, probably because of his importance to Usagi.
- His psychometry was not fully developed until the second season, and was used occasionally throughout the series.
- Mamoru displays healing abilities without needing to transform into Tuxedo Mask.
- He is hinted to have a physical relationship with Usagi; he was seen sleeping with her in the last volume of the manga. He is seen sleeping with her once again on the cover of "Sailor Moon Short Stories Volume 2."
- Mamoru is the character who says the last words of the manga (see quote above).