| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
"Makoto" redirects here. For other characters and pages with the name Makoto, please see Makoto (disambiguation)
|Alignment:||Moon Kingdom, Crystal Tokyo|
|Age:|| Manga: 14 (arcs 1-2), 15 (arcs 3-4), 16 (arc 5)|
First Anime: 14 (seasons 1-2), 15 (seasons 3-4), 16 (season 5)
PGSM: 14; 18 (Special Act)
Second Anime: 14
|Forms:|| Sailor Jupiter|
Super Sailor Juptier
"Eternal" Sailor Juptier
|Lives:||Azabu-Juuban, Minato Ward, Tokyo, Japan|
|Family:|| Parents (desceased)|
Husband (Parallel Sailor Moon only)
Mako Kino (Parallel Sailor Moon only)
|Associates:||Solar System Sailor Senshi, Ittou Asanuma|
|First Manga Appearance:||Act 5 - Makoto, Sailor Jupiter|
|First Original Anime Appearance:||Jupiter, the Brawny Girl in Love|
|First Musical Appearance:||Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon ~ An Alternate Legend - Dark Kingdom Revival Story|
|First PGSM Appearance:||Act 6 - The Transfer Student is Sailor Jupiter|
|First Second Anime Appearance:||Act 5 - Makoto, Sailor Jupiter|
|Actors:|| Emi Shinohara (first anime, as well as some video games)|
Mew Azama (PGSM)
Marie Sada (musicals)
Takako Inayoshi (musicals)
Emika Satou (musicals)
Akari Tonegawa (musicals)
Chiho Ooyama (musicals)
Emi Kuriyama (musicals)
Yuriko Hayashi (musicals)
Ayano Sugimoto (musicals)
Kaori Sakata (musicals)
Karina Okada (musicals)
Mai Watanabe (musicals)
Yuu Takahashi (current musical actress)
Ami Koshimizu (second anime)
|Bios:|| Manga Bio|
First Anime Bio
Sera Myu Bio
Second Anime Bio
|Galleries:|| Manga Gallery|
First Anime Gallery
Sera Myu Bio
Second Anime Bio
Profile and Personality
Makoto is a Japanese teenager who lives in Azabu-Juuban, Minato Ward, Tokyo, Japan. In Act 17, it is revealed that her parents died in an airline accident when she was younger and Makoto lived all by herself ever since. After she got a sense that there was a place she had to be, she transferred to Juuban Municipal Junior High School, the same school Usagi Tsukino and Ami Mizuno go to. When she transferred, a rumor went around saying that she was expelled from her old school. In Chapter 1 - The Melancholy of Mako-chan, the first story of the Exam Battle series that takes place in the Infinity arc, it is shown that Makoto is very scared of airplanes because of the accident. The story also revealed that Makoto likes cooking and bargain hunting. Also, Makoto is 15 years old in the Infinity arc. In the Dream arc, she and the other Sailor Senshi (excluding Rei, Chibiusa, Setsuna, and Hotaru) attend Juuban Municipal High School. In Act 42, it is shown that Makoto dreams of getting married, opening up a small flower shop and cake bakery, and growing up to be as pretty as Michiru and as strong as Haruka.
Makoto Kino is a teenage girl who has long brown wavy hair that she usually keeps tied up with a ponytail holder with two green balls, and green eyes. Makoto is the tallest out of the Inner Senshi, standing at 168 centimeters or 5 feet 6 inches. Also, Makoto is almost always shown wearing her pink rose earrings.
Makoto was present in the original proposal for the Codename: Sailor V anime; however, she was called Mamoru Chino, a name similar to Mamoru Chiba. It was later confirmed this character was eventually turned into Makoto, her character was meant to be not only tough, but the leader of a female gang and a smoker. Also, her hair was straight instead of wavy.
Makoto: Makoto's first name in Japanese is written in hiragana as "まこと", which can be read as "実", which can mean "trust" or "sincerity" in Japanese. Originally, it was "Mamoru," meaning "to guard/protect."
Kino: The kanji of "Kino" (木野) can translate to "wood field" or "tree field."
Her name completely in hiragana would be "きのまこと" (Kino Makoto).
- Makoto's very first appearance in the manga was at the end of Act 4, even though her identity wasn't revealed until Act 5.
- The source of Makoto's income has been a debate among the fans, seeing as she is only 14-16 years old. An explanation behind how she supported herself was never given, but a popular theory is that she lives off an inheritance left behind by her parents.
- Makoto's school uniform was further representation of her tough girl status, that being the style for those girls at the time. In Japan, brown hair connotes rebelliousness, which enhances Makoto's tough girl image.
- In the manga, it is shown that Makoto keeps many plants in her apartment.
- In the first "Chibiusa Picture Diary", Makoto is seen eating a chocolate cigarette. However, there are many fans who believe she was smoking an actual cigarette.
- "Kino" could mean "of the Tree", if it had been written with the possession-particle の.
- Her first name is usually known to be a boy's name.
- Makoto's membership number in the Three Lights Fan Club was 1606.
- Her voice actress in the second anime series has the same name as another character.
- She has a couple of image songs in every continuity of the Sailor Moon series, sans the manga:
- In the first anime, her image songs were It's Not Your Fault, Kissing in the Starlight, In Order to Forget, Don't Fall in Love, and We Believe You.
- In the musicals, her image song is Zigzag Slash. She also shared an image song with the 20th Century Sailor Senshi titled We Can't Be Soldiers of Love Forever.
- In Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, her image songs were Lovely Yell and Miracle Dance Night. She also shared a song with the other Inner Sailor Senshi called Friend.
- She will be getting an image song in the second anime as well. She will also share an image song with Ami Mizuno, and with the Inner Sailor Senshi.