Act 19 Time Warp - Sailor Pluto (manga)
The attack was first used in Act 19. It appeared as an energy blast shot toward the enemy.
The attack was first used in Episode 112 against Daimon U-Estern. To perform this attack, Sailor Pluto raised the Garnet Rod into the air and a small whirlwind encircled her. She said the attack name and the wind coalesced into the Garnet Orb, creating a glowing purple ball of energy. She spun once, holding the Garnet Rod before her, and then fired the light purple energy at her target, causing them to scream in pain. It was her only offensive attack ever used in her regular, evolved Sailor and Super Sailor forms. It was used in the second and third movies as well.
In the Cloverway English dub, it was renamed Pluto Deadly Scream.
Sailor Pluto first used her unusually strong Dead Scream attack in her debut appearance to stop Sailor Moon, Sailor Venus, Tuxedo Mask, Luna and Artemis from going forward to the Door of Space-Time. It caused intense pain to her victims in a large burst of light purple, glowing energy. She used it a second time to kill Tellu shortly after she reawakened in the present day, saving Sailor Chibi Moon. [].
Dead Scream is used in the following games by Sailor Pluto
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S 3DO
- Sailor Moon SuperS: Zenin Sanka!! Shuyaku Soudatsusen
- Sailor Moon: Another Story - It consumes 3 EP and it hits one enemy.
- The name of this attack is derived from the mythological Pluto, who was the Roman god of the underworld.
- According to the Sailor Moon SuperS Movie Memorial Album, in the anime, the mist that forms around Sailor Pluto’s Garnet Orb when she performs Dead Scream is called the meikai no kaze (冥界の風), which means “the wind of the underworld.
- Ironically, Pluto whispers “Dead Scream” rather than shouting it though she did yell its name during the Cloverway Adaption.
- Interestingly, Sailor Pluto appears to be wearing purple eye-shadow as she performs the attack.
- Like Deep Submerge and World Shaking, Dead Scream takes on the form of the user's own planet to attack the target.
- The colour of the energy ball is inconsistent in the first anime; although the main portion is usually light purple (although occasionally a darker shade), the ring around it is sometimes red and sometimes blue.
- The kanji name of this attack, Hametsu Zenmei (破滅喘鳴), means “destruction wheezing.” The same phrase was also used to refer to this attack in the musical Last Dracul Jokyoku.
- In the Viz Dub and both the Mixx/Tokyopop and Kodansha manga translations, the attack retains its original name.
- Though Sailor Pluto used this attack in episode 112, the full sequence of the attack was not shown until the next episode. She also used a short version of this attack in episodes 167 and 190.
- When Sailor Pluto upgraded into her “Super” form in the first anime, the stock footage for Dead Scream was updated to match her new uniform.
- Unlike Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus, Sailor Pluto did not receive a brand new attack with her talisman in the first anime; however, in the manga and Crystal, “Chronos Typhoon” was considered to be her “talisman attack”.