Crybaby Usagi's Magnificent Transformation
|Nakimushi Usagi no Kareinaru Henshin|
1, Sailor Moon
7 March 1992
|NORTH AMERICAN DUB|
“A Moon Star Is Born”
September 11, 1995
Talk Radio (DiC)
“Crybaby Usagi's Magnificent Transformation” is the series premiere of the first season of the Sailor Moon anime, and is the first episode overall. The episode first aired in Japan on March 7, 1992. The English dub title for this episode is "A Moon Star is Born", and the episode first aired in North America on September 11, 1995.
Usagi Tsukino is a 14 year old schoolgirl who is very cheerful, but clumsy, and is always finding herself into unwanted trouble. One day, Usagi meets a talking black cat named Luna, who reveals that dark forces are threatening the lives of the innocent and that Usagi has the power to stop them. Using a magical brooch, Usagi is transformed into Sailor Moon, the chosen guardian who fights for love and justice.
Usagi Tsukino is a clumsy, below-average junior high student who encounters a black cat on her way to school one morning. She rescues the cat from some children and removes some band-aids from its forehead, revealing a crescent bald spot. Realizing she is going to be late, Usagi leaves the cat and runs to school.
Usagi is late anyway, and is further berated for achieving yet another low test score. Her friends, Naru Osaka and Gurio Umino, mention that the mysterious heroine Sailor V has been in the news, having thwarted a jewelry store robbery. Naru says that her mother's jewellery store, OSA-P, is having a sale, so she and Usagi decide to visit it on the way home.
Meanwhile, in the domain of the Dark Kingdom, Queen Beryl demands that her minions bring her the legendary Silver Crystal as an energy source for their great ruler. Queen Metalia. With the crystal still hidden, Beryl's general Jadeite reveals that he has a plan in motion to gather human energy as a substitute.
Usagi and Naru go to the jewelry store and find Naru's mother, Mayumi in a state of excited salesmanship. Unbeknownst to them, Mayumi has been replaced by a double from the Dark Kingdom, a Youma named Morga who is using the discounted gems to transmit the humans' energy to Jadeite. She offers Usagi a discounted diamond, but Usagi realizes she has no money, and her father is unlikely to buy it for her considering her poor test result. Dejected, she leaves the shop and throws her test paper away. It hits a boy behind her on the head. He too mocks her for her poor result, calls her bun head , and she storms off. As she heads home, dreading revealing her score to her parents, the black cat from earlier is watching her.
When Usagi arrives home, her mother immediately asks her about the test. She reluctantly hands it over, and is promptly kicked out of the house. Back at the jeweler's, the effects of the gems cause the customers to faint. Naru asks her mother what's happening, only to be confronted by the Youma.
Finally back inside, Usagi decides to take a nap. The black cat comes in through the window and speaks to her. She says her name is Luna, and thanks Usagi for removing the band-aid which was suppressing her powers. Luna gives Usagi a brooch and tells her that she must fight a mysterious enemy that is attacking the town, and assist in the search for their princess. Usagi doesn't really believe her, so Luna gets her to recite the transformation phrase: "Moon Prism Power, Make Up" The brooch transforms Usagi into Sailor Moon. She is shocked at first, but then she is able to hear Naru's cries for help through her barrettes. Luna tells her that it is her job to save Naru. Sailor Moon starts to cry when realizing that her friend is in trouble. She flies off to fight.
As Naru wrestles against Morga, Sailor Moon appears. Morga awakens the comatose customers and sends them after Sailor Moon, who panics, not knowing what to do. Morga moves in for the kill, but is distracted by the momentary intervention of the mysterious Tuxedo Mask. Luna advises Sailor Moon to do something, rather than just sit there. Sailor Moon continues to cry, and her amplified wailing starts to incapacitate the customers. Luna instructs her to use her tiara against Morga. Sailor Moon complies, removing the tiara and using the Moon Tiara Action attack, which destroys Morga. Tuxedo Mask congratulates Sailor Moon, who is instantly smitten.
The next day, Naru recounts her strange dream, in which she was saved from a monster by someone called Sailor Moon. Usagi, however, is too tired to listen.
Changes From the Manga
The first episode is based on Manga Chapter Act 1 - Usagi, Sailor Moon. However, it does have few differences from the original chapter:
- Queen Beryl didn't appear until Act 2.
- Usagi visited the game center to play the Sailor V Game, and Motoki Furuhata made his first appearance. In the anime, Usagi only looks at a poster of the Sailor V Game outside of the game center before continuing to walk home, and Motoki does not make an appearance until the next episode.
- Usagi has a dream of herself playing in the Sailor V Game, taking down a monster, and saving Motoki and the cat with the crescent-shaped bald spot.
- Luna scratched Usagi in the face twice: once after she was stepped on and Usagi kissed her, and the other time was to wake Usagi up, as well as to reprimand her for calling her cresent moon a "bald spot".
- Ikuko was reading a newspaper on Sailor V. She is reading something on the table in the beginning of the episode in the anime, but it is unknown what it is.
- Usagi accidentally steps on Luna while running to school. In the anime, Usagi saves Luna from some children who were tormenting her.
- Tuxedo Mask did not reveal himself to Sailor Moon until after the youma was defeated. He also did not throw a rose as a distraction.
- The youma Sailor Moon fights was never named.
- In the DiC English dub episode 1 minute and 20 seconds of information from the episode Usagi's Awakening! A Message From the Distant Past was inserted into this episode explaining the Silver Millennium long before it was explained in the original. Several other changes were made to the episode as well:
- Usagi's introduction in the beginning of the episode was cut out.
- In the original Japanese, Mrs. Hauna had Usagi stand in the hallway as disicipline for being late to school, a scene that was cut out in the English dub.
- Umino talking about Sailor V, Ikuko scolding Usagi for her bad grades, and Usagi mimicking Sailor V Kick at Shingo were edited out.
- Usagi's failed English test was changed to a failed algebra test.
- Serena/Usagi had known about Sailor V for a long time before the series started, but originally, she didn't know about Sailor V until Umino/Melvin mentioned the name for the first time.
- Usagi's mom says Umino's mom called her about the test in the dub. Originally, she says she only bumped into Umino, which is how she found out about the test.
- Usagi's mom kicked her out of the house upon discovering her failed test in the original. That was edited to her telling Serena(Usagi) to go to the library to study more in the English dub.
- Usagi's brother Shingo (Sammy in the English dub) made his first appearance in this episode, but his appearance was cut in the English dub.
- For Usagi's first encounter with Mamoru, his pet name for her is changed to "meatball head" from "dumpling head" (お団子頭 odango atama), since dumplings are less common in North America. She leaves the encounter finding him "cute" in the English version, but only a "weirdo" in the original.
- In the Korean dub of this episode, the kanji on the student rankings were edited out, leaving the Juuban students looking at blank pages. The scene where Morga dropped her disguise was also cut.
- In the Hungarian dub, as Haruna Sakurada scolded Usagi for being late for school, the original audio was used instead of the Hungarian voice actress' voice.
- In the German and Dutch dub, Bunny called Luna "sir" despite the fact that Luna was female.
Other Dub Episode Titles
- Italian: Una guerriera speciale ("A Special Warrior")
- German: Der Glanz der Juwelen ("The Glittering of Jewels")
- Mexican: Como una niña miedosa se transforma en Sailor Scout ("How A Frightened Girl Becomes Sailor Scout")
- Spanish: La niña llorona se convierte en guerrero ("A Crybaby Becomes a Warrior")
- Swedish: Hur lipsillen blir Sailor Moon ("How the Crybaby becomes Sailor Moon")
- French: La Métamorphose ("The Metamorphosis")
- Catalan: La ploramiques es converteix en guerrera ("The Crybaby Turns into a Warrior")
- Hungarian: Holdtündér színre lép ("The Moon Fairy Comes In")
- Polsat: Beksa zmienia się w wojownika
- TV 4: Beksa zmienia się w wojowniczkę
- Brazil: Como uma garota medrosa se transforma em guerreira ("How A Frightened Girl Becomes a Warrior")
- Portugal: A choramingas transforma-se em guerreira
- Russian: Плакса превращается в воина ("The Crybaby Turns into a Warrior")
- Chinese: 愛哭鬼小兔的華麗變身
- English (Viz Media): The Crybaby: Usagi's Beautiful Transformation
- This was the first episode to use "Moonlight Legend" as the opening theme and "Heart Moving" as the ending theme.
- This is the first episode of the anime.
- Sailor V appeared in a non-speaking role as part of a daydream, which made her the first Sailor Senshi to appear in the series. She was also the first to appear in the manga and live-action versions.
- In this episode (and the manga chapter on which it was based), Sailor Moon was able to hear over long distances via the jewels in her hair. This ability was never referenced again in either version.
- Some people also translate this episode title as Crybaby Usagi's Beautiful Transformation or Crybaby Usagi's Graceful Transformation.
- A clip can be seen of Usagi starting her transformation into Sailor Moon at the end of Viz Media's announcement trailer that announced that they had the license for the anime. This clip featured a new voiceover and many fans have presumed that it is her new voice.