| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
Chibiusa, Sailor Chibi Moon
Kae Araki (anime)
Usagi "Chibiusa/Rini" Tsukino is one of the central fictional characters in the Sailor Moon metaseries. When she first appears, she is a small child from the 30th century who visits the past to seek help from the series' primary heroines, the Sailor Senshi, in order to restore her mother, Neo-Queen Serenity, to normal. Neo-Queen Serenity had been injured while shielding Chibiusa from one of the Black Moon Clan's dark energy attacks; the queen would've used the Silver Crystal, but at the time the powerful stone had vanished.
Chibiusa has pink hair and red eyes. Like Usagi, she wears her hair in odangos that looks like a rabbit's ear. She is older than she looks in the manga. She is 900 years old, as was told by her father King Endymion. She is the youngest (with the exception of Hotaru) and shortest Sailor Senshi. In the beginning of the series, she stood at the height at about 3'6", and continued to grow taller throught the following arcs.
In Act 20 of the manga, episode 85 in the anime, after being infected by the power of the Black Crystal, Chibiusa becomes the Black Lady and tries to get rid of Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask because the Wise Man made her think that her parents didn't like her (which was proven to be a lie). Black Lady is also known as Wicked Lady. A few episodes later, Black Lady was revived from being brainwashed.
Small Lady is a name used by Chibiusa's family and close friends. Chibiusa is known by this name in the 30th century.
Sailor Chibi MoonEdit
Chibiusa's Senshi identity, this was the form Chibiusa took on after she transformed for the first time.
Super Sailor Chibi MoonEdit
This is Chibiusa's second senshi uniform in the anime and manga that she transforms into first during Act 33 of the manga and episode 128 in the anime by using the Holy Chalice.
Eternal Sailor Chibi Moon (manga only)Edit
This was an manga exclusive transformation of Chibiusa's in Act 42, this form was unnamed but was similar to Eternal Sailor Moon albeit without wings.
Princess Lady SerenityEdit
The Princess form of Chibiusa's that appears in both the anime and manga. In the anime version, her dress was the same as Usagi's when she's Princess Serenity. In the manga, her dress is pink and has ruffles.
Adding in Usagi's child to the Sailor Moon storyline, as well as her name, Chibiusa for a chibi (little) Usagi, was the idea of Naoko Takeuchi's editor, Fumio Osano. Takeuchi has stated that she did not think much about how Chibiusa's hair would look, besides it having odango like Usagi's hair and being pink; and that she used a Chibiusa doll for reference on the hair.
The first appearance of Chibiusa as a Sailor Senshi is in a side story, a year and a half before Sailor Chibi Moon made her debut in the manga. In the first Picture Diary, Chibiusa is rescued by Sailors Moon and Venus and dreams that night about becoming a "soldier of love and justice" herself. She calls herself "Sailor Chibiusa Moon" and appears in a uniform slightly different from the one she wears later, most notably including a cape.
Takeuchi struggled with a name for Black Lady, initially calling her "the Black Queen" and retaining her childlike appearance. Takeuchi also noted that the leg-slit on Black Lady's dress was even more revealing in the anime than in the manga, something which shocked her as she had wondered if the slit was going too far in her drawings of Black Lady.
Reception and InfluenceEdit
The official Sailor Moon character popularity poll listed Chibiusa, Sailor Chibi Moon, Princess Lady Serenity, and Black Lady as separate entities. In 1993, with fifty choices, Chibiusa was the most popular character, Black Lady was the thirteenth most popular, and Luna-P, an item of Chibiusa's, was the seventeenth most popular character. In 1994, with fifty one choices, Sailor Chibi Moon was the second most popular character, Chibiusa was the eighth most popular, and Luna-P was the twenty sixth most popular character. In early 1996, with fifty one choices, Sailor Chibi Moon was again the second most popular character, Chibiusa was the eleventh most popular, and Princess Lady Serenity, an older form of Small Lady, was the twenty fourth most popular character.
Despite this, Chibiusa has been described by Jonathan Clements and Helen McCarthy as "unpopular" even among Japanese audiences, at least in the anime. She was especially unpopular with the Weatern fans of the anime.
- Although Chibiusa was popular among young Japanese fans, there was notable dislike of the character within the Western fandom.
- Chibiusa's odango gives an impression of a rabbit's ears. This, together with her red eyes, pink hair and pink sailor fuku, made her like a pink rabbit.
- In the anime, Chibiusa's princess dress is identical in style to Princess Serenity's, but in the manga her dress is of a different design and color.
- Chibiusa's best subject in school is art.
- In the anime, Chibiusa is shown to have a fear of thunderstorms, just as her mother did. It was also shown in the manga.
- Chibiusa pretends to be rather 'cold' toward Usagi but in truth, Chibiusa loves her more than anyone.
- Unlike in the English dub, Chibiusa never refers to Usagi as her mother, she does not see her as a mother, just a "sister".
- In the manga, Chibiusa looks almost exactly like Usagi.
- "Rini Tsukino" is her name in the English dub.
- Her future guardians that appear in the manga are the Sailor Quartet and Sailor Saturn. It's hinted in the anime by CereCere that she and the quartet will see Chibiusa again.
- Chibusa's best friends are Momoko, Hotaru, and Kyuusuke.
- Chibiusa is the only character to become evil prior to becoming a Senshi. Hotaru does not fall under this situation because she and Mistress 9 are separate entities, while Chibiusa and Black Lady are the same person.
- Chibiusa's blood type is O.
- In the Sera Myu musicals, Chibiusa was played by 13 actresses: Ai Miyakawa, Mao Kawasaki, Natsumi Takenaka, Tamaki Dia Shirai, Ayano Gunji, Arisu Izawa, Kasumi Takabatake, Noel Miyazaki, Aisha Yamamoto, Nanami Ohta, Mao Ohno, Mina Horita, and Moe Oosaki. She had the most actresses out of all the Solar System Senshi, due to the fact that there were often two actresses would play her in one musical.