A Beautiful Boy? The Secret of Haruka Tenou
|Suteki na Bishounen? Tenou Haruka no Himitsu|
April 16, 1994
|NORTH AMERICAN DUB|
June 14, 2000
"A Beautiful Boy? The Secret of Haruka Tenou" is the third episode of the third season of the Sailor Moon anime, and the 92nd episode overall. The episode first aired in Japan on April 16, 1994. The English dub title for this episode is "Driving Dangerously", and the episode first aired in North America on June 14, 2000.
Usagi and Minako become besotted with Haruka Tenou, an attractive and sophisticated young man (or so they think) that they meet at the game center, though become curious about his relationship with Michiru Kaiou, a classmate of his.
Usagi makes her way home from school when something catches her eye at the arcade, and goes in to see that Minako is talking to Motoki. He says he invited her there to take her mind off of studying after Usagi says that they should doing just that. As is typical, Minako misquotes a proverb, so Motoki says maybe she should study after all, but she ignores this and drags Usagi to a game. A student of Mugen Academy enters and easily beats Minako at a racing game in spite of giving her a head start. Another student of Mugen Academy named Michiru enters and apologises to the racer whom she addresses as Haruka and they leave with Minako and Usagi in awe at Haruka's beauty (with her androgynous appearance and gender-neutral name, they don't realized that Haruka is female at this point.)
The Daimon Egg implants itself in the steering wheel of the car that garage owner Kameda (Anthony in CWi dub) is working on unknownst to him or Haruka, who is also there. Seeing the edge of Minako's skirt, Haruka joins them and they bombard her with questions. Both she and the other student pretend that they aren't together and so Minako's vain hope of obtaining Haruka persists. Haruka and the other student tell them of Haruka's enthusiasm for cars. The daimon pops up and manage to get Kameda's heart crystal. Since Minako and Usagi had noticed Haruka was no longer in the garage after they slipped and bumped into each other, they transform to their Senshi forms. Haruka and Michiru are seen chasing the daimon with her motor bike as it highly jumps leading both of them to transform to their Senshi forms as both Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune off-screen before both Sailor Moon and Sailor Venus confront it. To the girls surprise, Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune are here to confront the daimon and unleashes their abilities of both World Shaking and Deep Submerge to weak the daimon long enough as Sailor Venus tells Sailor Moon to finish it off which she succeeds in defeating the daimon with a Moon Spiral Heart Attack. Sailor Uranus eventually gives Kamada's heart crystal to Sailor Moon knowing that the heart crystal is not pure and tells her to give it back to its owner.
The next day, they all go to the arcade including the other Senshi who had figured out that Usagi and Minako were chasing after who they assumed was a boy and they ask where Haruka is. Michiru gestures to Haruka and, with her jacket off and shirt partially unbuttoned and knowingly of her true gender as a female much to everyone's horrible shock which Rei remarks Haruka's appearance is an hunksterette while Makoto also commented that he was she, Haruka calmly admits to them. "Sorry if I burst your bubble that I'm a girl." Minako sags while being slammed by both Rei and Makoto, Ami sighs and Usagi knew it from the beginning as she stated. "I knew there was something fishy right from the start. But Minako wouldn't listen, hmph."
Changes From the Manga
- The girls (aside from Ami) confuse Haruka with a boy. She reveals her true gender much later.
- In the English dub, Minako calls out "Venus Crystal Power" instead of "Venus Star Power", due to a mistake in the script.
- In the anglosphere people drive on the other side of the road so in the dub Steering was flipped to make it look like the driver's side was on the left.
- The Mexican voice actress for Haruka/ Sailor Uranus changed her voice depending on what character she was acting: A more masculine voice for Haruka and a more feminine voice for Sailor Uranus. At the end of this episode when Haruka reveals her gender her voice was the one usually used on Uranus.
- "Tuxedo Mirage " is used for the first time as the ending theme, replacing "A Maiden's Policy".
- Venus Star Power, Make Up has its own background music for the first time. It remains for the entire season.
- Deep Submerge and World Shaking's names, as well as animation sequences make their debut in this episode.
- This marks the first time Haruka known as Amara of the English Dub has been voiced by a well known actress, Sarah Lafleur and the return of Barbara Radecki who voices Serena's mother, Ikuko Tsukino later voices Michiru known as Michelle in the dub.